Paper City Scribblings

Paper City Scribblings is a collection of rambling thoughts on Holyoke Massachusetts by Sarah Campbell, Curator of Historical Collections at Holyoke public Library in Holyoke, Massachusetts. Topics will include historical jaunts through Holyoke's past, History Room happenings, and Holyoke news.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Holyoke, Massachusetts, United States

My name is Sarah Campbell and I am the Curator of Historical Collections at Holyoke Public Library. I have my MA in Art History, my MS in Information Science with a concentration in Archival Management and my BA in English. While I live in South Hadley, I am a born Holyoker. I was born in Providence Hospital and have had a permanent link with Holyoke ever since. I went to Miss Jone's Story Book Nursery, the Children's House, and finally Holyoke Community College. I love Holyoke and am quite excited about the many fascinating things that are going on right now.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Missing Photos: Religion

Next: Missing Photos: Child Welfare

I wish I could find a way to post these photographs directly into my posts- I guess that they are too large. If someone has any ideas as to how to make this possible it would be great because it takes away from the essays. But instead I am going to post a series of mini-posts providing you with the comparisons I would have liked to make in the main body of my essay.

As you can see the artist took a bit of artistic license with the perspective of the images to allow the most important visual aspects to be seen, eventhough they would normally be hidden when viewed from the front.



Here is a detail of Graziani's mural on Religion. On the left is St. Jerome's Church and in the center is the First Baptist Church.




This is a postcard of St. Jerome's Church.
It served as Graziani's influence.






And this is the First Baptist Church,
otherwise known as the Elmwood Baptist Church.
This image was also taken from a postcard
and also served as Graziani's inspiration.

1 Comments:

Anonymous ponypower said...

you might want to look into something like flickr for hosting your images?

it will automatically offer 4 sizes for posting to your blog and allow you to store your images offsite( I don't know how many MB blogger lets you use?)

hooray for a blog about holyoke!

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home